Saturday, August 6, 2011

Reactions in Strange Situations

Acts 8:31
    “And he said, ‘How can I unless someone guides me?’ And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him.” NKJV

    After being asked if he understood the passage he was reading, the Ethiopian replied that he needed guidance to understand.
    That action in and of itself is pretty humble for a man in such a position. He openly admitted to some random person who decided to run next to him, that he did not understand.
    I would think that the natural tendency would be to make your first impression to look smart and educated. He could have very easily rambled on the subject without really saying that he didn’t know, or at the very least given a preamble to that statement to make himself seem even a little smarter.
    In all honesty, I probably would have. If I was frustrated, I might have been more frank, but to some random guy who just dashed next to my chariot for no apparent reason? Probably not.
    He admitted that he needed guidance. I can say from experience that he’s not the only one who struggles to interpret that book. The first time I read this enormous book, that was my most common thought, “Man, I wish someone would explain this to me.”
    Unfortunately for the Ethiopian he lacked two important tools of interpretation that we have today: Knowledge of Jesus Christ, and help from the Holy Spirit.
    Luckily, he got both of those things in the next verses. The Holy Spirit sent help through Philip who told him about Jesus.
    But as followers of Christ today, we can be confident of the Holy Spirit’s presence within us to help us understand these things if we ask it of Him. In other words we don’t need a random Christian trotting up out of nowhere to help us out--though that could still happen. It is more likely, however, that He will speak to us directly, assuming we are ready to listen.
    The application for this part:
    First, I need to admit what I don’t know. This is often difficult for me because I like to pretend that I’m smart and I like to answer academic questions--or at least try to.
    Second, I have to be willing to hear other people’s thoughts and insights on matters.
    Third, I need to spend my study time asking the Spirit to give me wisdom on the subject. When I first read through the bible all the way, I did it very mechanically. Yeah, I enjoyed it, but I wasn’t really seeking God’s wisdom. I merely relied upon my own ability.

    Now to address the second part of the verse.
    “… And he asked Philip to come and sit with him.”
    The Ethiopian offered a seat to some random person only seconds after their first encounter.
    So lets try to imagine this. I’m driving home in my nice green Subaru. My windows are down and I’m stuck at a stoplight, mulling over some scripture in Isaiah--reading aloud because it helps me focus.
    Out of nowhere this chick (I say female simply because I’m female) jogs up to me. We’re practically in the desert, so right away I think she’s nuts, but I continue reading regardless.
    “Do you understand that passage?” she asks me conversationally.
    Say I have the humility to admit that I have no idea. That alone is impressive. But, uh, would my next action be to invite her into my car?
    Truly my heart would be set on God and not on the world for me to do that. A random person. In my car. I don’t even hesitate because I think she can teach me.
    That is pretty amazing.
    I want to have that kind of all-for-God vision in my life, not just in this thought experiment. I want to be so focused on His word that weird people and strange situations don’t even phase me, because my home is in heaven, and all that I am should be working towards that home.

No comments:

Post a Comment