Saturday, August 27, 2011

Putting yourself Last

Romans 12:10
    “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.” NIV

    Paul calls us to be loyal and to respect our brothers in love.
    How do we show loyalty or devotion to our brothers in Christ?
    First by not doing anything that could hurt them like gossip or ridicule. Then, perhaps, by serving their needs when they arise. I even need to be loyal in something as simple as prayer. If a brother needs prayer, then I need to be loyal in that regard to set aside time to pray earnestly for him.
    And, I need to serve them because I love them sincerely, not for any recognition from God or from men.
    The last command is this: Honor them above myself.
    I’m not really sure what honoring a person looks like so I looked up the definition of the synonym “To respect”.
    The definition was this: an act of giving particular attention to.
    So, in other words, I am to give greater attention to my brothers than to myself.
    In summary, I need to serve my brothers loyally and in love, and I need to give them my full attention and support when it is needed throughout the day. And I need to do this all sincerely, as I said yesterday, and especially here at Potter’s Field where my brothers and sisters are easy to love, so I’ll know how to serve people who aren’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment