Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fulfillment in Worship

Mark 8:36
    “For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?”

    Jesus’ logic here is undeniable, and yet it is often easy for me to overlook this fact. I, like many others I’m sure, often have dreams about my future. Things like publishing a novel, creating a 3D animated movie, or owning a house out in the woods with lots of dogs and foster children.
    I think, if I just get/accomplish these things, I will be fulfilled. But How many times have I gotten what I dreamed for and felt more empty than ever?
    A good example of this is during school. I would get so frustrated with my lack of free time that I would say things like, “If I just had more free time I would finish my book, work our more, and make some headway on my 3D animation.”
    Then break rolls around. Maybe I even do start doing those things with zeal. For a day. Maybe two. Then I slip back into that summer break fever of spending all my time getting nothing done. Suddenly the thing I’ve waited for and thought would make me happy left me feeling empty.
    I think even if I gained the whole world I would still feel that emptiness. I think it is part of human nature to feel empty, then fail to recognize the only One who can fulfill.
    Even being emperor of the world with all power, all money, what would we have gained if we sold our souls to get there?
    We only have a hundred years on this Earth (if we are lucky), but our decisions here will determine the fates of our souls in eternity. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to live a thousand years, much less forever.
    How can I, in good conscience, not even give over to the Lord the short time I am here?
    Even though I’m confident in my salvation, how will I be able to stand before the Lord and try to explain away all the times I refused to obey? Nothing I do here will give me fulfillment anyway, so why would I refuse the one thing that can?
    I need to follow God’s will for me, for He alone knows what can fulfill my restless heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment