Saturday, August 6, 2011

Obedience

Acts 8:29
    “Then the Spirit said to Philip, ‘Go near and overtake this chariot.’”
    NKJV

    As Philip was following the Lord’s command to travel down this road, the Spirit spoke to him again, this time He told him to go near to a specific chariot.
    This command, and the one before it, is very simple. He basically said, “Go here.” Then he added, “Now go here.”
    Neither the angel or the Spirit gave any reason for the command. They only told him what he needed to do.
    I need to realize and remember that God often does not tell us why He wants something done.
    The cool thing about this story is how simple the command was. Philip didn’t need a hundred bucks and a knowledge of rocket science to obey. The only things he needed was a willingness to hear and a willingness to obey.
    Often times I try to overcomplicate or put logic to the commands that He gives to me.
    Usually this stems from a fear of if the idea was from the Spirit or from the flesh. This is a legitimate test for me, I think, because sometimes I truly don’t know. I don’t want to do something thinking its God, when its not, and then being disappointed when God doesn’t back me up on it. But often I use my logic and knowledge as an excuse, even when I know in my heart that it is His will.
    I need to be a more obedient servant, so that God can use me as He wishes, instead of me dragging my feet the whole way. And I need to be more willing to take a risk that God is speaking to me than sitting in a hole waiting for a sign from God the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment