Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hypocrisy, Culture, and Finding a way out.

Romans 12:9
    “[Let] love [be] without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.” NKJV

    Love Without Hypocrisy:


    Hypocrisy: the false assumption of an appearance of virtue or religion.
    Playing at being a nice and happy and sweet person is something I’m very practiced at.
    Once a good friend of mine, a pastor, told me how he showed up to work one day and for whatever reason was having a bad day. Some of his non-believing co-workers walked up to him and asked him about it. Instead of shrugging it off he told them plainly, “You know what, guys, I’m just not having a good day today.” And of course they responded, “Woah, a pastor is having a bad day?!” But they appreciated his sincerity.
    I’m not that sincere. If I’m having a bad day or struggling I won’t tell anyone unless forced to. This is something I need to change, and since I don’t really know how to I’m going to start praying about it.

    Abhor What is Evil:

    I don’t normally have trouble hating sin, unless it is in media. Movies, videogames, books--in our culture heroic demons and free sex are to be expected and accepted. These things used to disgust me. Playing a videogame where the goal is to cut up demons and the graphics leave you covered with blood used to make me cringe.
    But in a game culture where the most common game mechanic is killing, it was either give up games or get used to it.
    So I got used to it.
    I should never compromise my purity for the sake of entertainment.

    Cling to What is Good:

    In a world full of corruption and loneliness, I sometimes find it hard to remember why I try. Paul tells us to cling to what is good, and we have to cling because there is not much good aside from God.
    I’m so blessed to be here at Potter’s Field where we are constantly surrounded by God’s goodness shown through the people here.
    But when I leave this place and venture out into a lost world, I need to remember the goodness He has shown me.
    I should be diligent in recording the events here at Potter’s field so that the goodness of God can be clear in my mind when I face trials in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Kayla! Thank you for being open and honest - and therefore, so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight! I know that people, even non-believers can spot a phony in a heartbeat. I wonder how many are turned off of Christianity because we are always trying to pretend to be a perfect Christian?

    mom

    ReplyDelete