Sunday, September 25, 2011

Original State

    “Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; Let him return to the Lord, and He will have mercy on him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon.”

    “Let him return to the Lord.”
    This verse to me, sounds like a call to the unsaved, why then does it say to “return”? Wouldn’t the proper wording be to “turn to the Lord? After all, they’ve never been a Christian/true Jewish believer before.
    One definition of return is to bring back to a normal or original state. Our (humanity’s) normal and original state was a strong relationship with God, no sin, and no death.
    To live apart from God is not how we were designed to function. It is unnatural for us to have to deal with death and disease. It is unnatural for us to try to bring glory for ourselves. Just look at our condition.
    People can spend their whole lives getting known, but those who are in the spotlight most spiral down the quickest, felling more empty than when they began. Why is it that the things we think will make us happy don’t, and often make it worse?
    Serving Christ will fulfill you.
    It seems absurd that someone or even this book could tell me how to rid myself of the gnawing emptiness.
    But looking back, has it? I gave up my single greatest pursuit in faith that God could heal me. I gave up writing, the one thing I thought could make me truly happy, but now I feel the furthest from empty I’ve ever been.
    Trying to fill up on the things of this world is like trying to fill a car up with water instead of gas. It gets full of something, and maybe even the gas gauge reads full, but when it comes to running off it, it just doesn’t go. Because water doesn’t have the explosive energy potential of gas. In the same way, filling up with worldly passions just doesn’t have the energy potential of godly ones. Illogical as it may sound.
    I need to rely upon God’s judgment to know what is best for me and accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment