Sunday, September 4, 2011

Lying

Ephesians 4:25
    “Therefore, putting away lying, ‘Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor,’ for we are members of one another.” NKJV

    What is lying?
    Above and beyond bearing false witness with the sole purpose of deception, lying is also creating false or misleading impressions. It is possible to lie by omission. It is possible to lie by redirection. And I can say for myself at least that this form of lying is a lot more common than bearing false witness.
    Why can’t we lie? Some things are better left undisclosed until an appropriate time, right?
    The verse tells us, also, the reason that we can’t. Because we (the church) are all part of one another. It is hard to create strong relationships in the midst of deception and secrets.
    Being a guarded person, this is especially important for me to remember. But are little white lies and quiet omission really that important?
    Look back at the verses Paul seems to be quoting from in Zechariah 8:14-17. Twice the prophet says these are words direct from the Lord Almighty. God tells us to speak truth to one another, judge fairly in courts, never plot evil, and never swear falsely. Then he says “I hate all of this.”
    In God’s eyes lying is just as bad as swearing falsely and plotting evil.
    My application is as simple as the verse--to not lie. And if I do end up lying, I need to make amends not only with God but the one whom I have deceived.

No comments:

Post a Comment