Sunday, September 18, 2011

Obedience with no thought of Reward.

Luke 17:10
    “So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.” NKJV
    Unprofitable: producing no gain, good, or result.

    What is an unprofitable servant?
A servant who, despite efforts, produces nothing good out of his labor. By stating that we are unprofitable slaves, we reaffirm that anything good we do in obedience to Christ is a good produced by Christ and not by us. Just as a company gets credit for the labors and innovations of its workers, so should we give all credit to God.
    But what prompted Jesus to start speaking on servant hood and humility when He was speaking about forgiveness then the power of faith? Did He randomly pull this lesson out of the air?
     Look back to verse six. Jesus tell them with a minuscule amount of faith they can command a tree to get up and jump off a cliff. One of the people in class pointed out that He was making a point: That it is not the size of their faith that matters, but the size of their God. God performs the miracles, our faith does not.
    The wonderful thing about our God is that he desires to answer our prayers. But what happens to a man when he realizes he can do anything (with the help of God)?
    Right after Jesus explains that God is a loving and gracious Master, He reminds us that we should be loving and gracious servants, aware and respectful of the role we are supposed to perform.
    The illustration of the servant here brings to mind another truth. The servant works all day, comes inside, and works some more. “When will he get to rest and eat?” we ask. This is a question often answered by the Pastors here. “When you’re dead.”
    When does a minister stop ministering (serving)?
Not until we meet Jesus in heaven. It is then Jesus will make us clean and allow us to eat and rest at His table. Until that time we are to present ourselves humbly doing all that is commanded without expectation of rest or reward in this life.
    I know Jesus desires to give me good gifts because I am His child, but I should desire to serve Him not for thought of reward but for the sole purpose of a desire to please my God to the best of my ability.
    Application:
    When I have done all the things which I am commanded, I will say “I am an unprofitable servant. I have done what is my duty to do.”
    Sound familiar? Good because that’s the verse.
    In other words I will give all glory to God for any good works He does through me and understand that it is my duty to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment