Sunday, September 18, 2011

Equality

Luke 17:7
    “And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he comes in from the field, ‘Come at once and sit down to eat?’”
    For a master to say this would be truly absurd. We may react indignantly to this as Americans because we have no slaves and an ambiguous social class structure. We would come in from the field and expect the verse “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” to apply. We believe in equality and we expect it. If we came in from a long hard day of work, we would expect to be treated with gratitude and respect.
    Ironically, “Come at once and sit down and eat,” sounds a lot like what my mom tells my dad sometimes when she times things just right and traffic doesn’t throw the whole thing off. It has become a sort of tradition of my dad’s to walk in the front door and say in a gruff voice, “I’m hungry!”
    Though we pride ourselves here on equality, there is no equality with God. Trying to be equal with God is not only an impossible task, but it doesn’t end well. King Herod, for instance, was smitten for allowing people to praise him as a god. The tower of Babel builders tried to reach heaven in their own way, trying in their own strength to become on equal terms with God. The consequences of which we still suffer to this day.
    If I am to pride myself on being His servant then I need to remember who and what He is. He is not just my Master, He is my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment