Sunday, September 4, 2011

Old Men

Ephesians 4:22
    “that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts,” NKJV

    “You were told, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires.” NIV

    We all have had old past identities before we devoted ourselves to Christ. Like a fat unhealthy looking old man, following us about and dictating our thoughts, our desires, and our fears. The old man convinced us to do things that we now know probably weren’t that good for our health--spiritual or otherwise. He told us that in lying, bad situations would be made right. In stealing, our needs would be fulfilled. And, in entertainment, we would be made happy. He told us this, and on some level, all of us listened and believed.
    Then came Christ who came with cleansing, and in Him the power of the old man over us was diminished and we could choose a new life. But in order to have that new life we had to sacrifice our old identity. Our old habits, activities, and lifestyle need to be brought to the alter and left there, though it is all too easy to steal them back.
    I’ve mentioned often what my old man looked like in this blog. He was an isolated, selfish, distracted little man that had big dreams about publishing novels and making animations. He liked to divide his time between entertainment and selfish dreams.
    Right now that man sleeps at the Lord’s alter, and I need to never wake him.
    More and more often I feel the Lord telling me that he might never allow me to pick up my pen again--that I need to lay that identity down as a sacrifice and not as a fast. At the end of this year, when my fast is over, I will seek earnestly for the Lord’s heart in this matter. Until then, I will live as though I’ve already committed to giving it up for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment