Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lord, Lord

Luke 17:9
    “Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.”

    We might think, why wouldn’t the servant at least be thanked for his hard work?
    A servant works with no expectation of reward. He knows what his master wants and does his best to obey in a way that is pleasing. He does this with no thought of rewards aside from a master who is pleased with his work.
    I want to be a servant like that to my Lord and Master.
    Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.”
    How many times do I call my Savior “Lord” and yet disobey His will, or worse yet, demand things from him. I don’t even comprehend the implications of the name “Lord” because we have no understanding of it in our culture other than another name of God or Jesus.
    I truth, I probably would not comprehend His authority even if I called Him by a different and more respectful name such as Master.
    Growing up in martial arts, I’ve even called several instructors master. Furthermore, in the traditional schools, we go so far as to use the honorific “Sir” in every sentence.
    At first it’s weird. Then slowly it becomes respectful, but if you do it long enough it eventually is worn down to habit. The initial respect and realization that every time you address this person in the dojang you are submitting to his authority is forgotten, or at the very least pushed to the back of your mind.
    In the same way, when I address God, even as God the creator of all, the titles become nothing more than that. I call Him Lord and Master, but do I submit to His authority? Do I respect him and the one who holds my life in His hands? Do I come to Him in the reverence as one who saved me not only in this life but in the next as well?
    I need to come to the realization of who God is and His greatness. It truly is unfathomable, the mercy He has towards us.
    Today I am going to count and write down the things which He has created and the “coincidences” He has divinely inspired in my life.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment