Sunday, October 30, 2011

Listen first, then speak.

James 1:19-20    Santiago 1:19-20
    “Mis queridos hermanos, tengan presente esto: Todos deben estar listos para escuchar, y ser lentos para hablar y para enojarse; pues la ira humana no produce la vida justa que Dios quiere.” NVI
    “So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.” NKJV

    Swift to Hear
--Willing to seek out and live off the wisdom of others.
 --To quickly set aside any previous thoughts and needs to give your full attention to another.

    Slow to Speak
--To, as you have already given your attention to the person, wait until they are fully ready for input before tossing in your two cents.
--To be careful of what your tongue and your flesh would blurt out. To consider your words and their impact before putting them to the ears of others.

    Slow to Wrath
--To always assume and hope the best of other people, trying to see the situation from their eyes to better understand why you have been wronged.

    “For the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God”
    In other words we are, in the eyes of God, incapable of bringing true justice. Only the blameless can condemn the sinners, but we are all sinners. When wronged against we are not justified in the eyes of God to even hold anger in our hearts because we have committed much worse towards Him.

    I relate personally more with the first two sections of this verse, though the truth about anger and hate is always a good lesson to store in my heart. I see a lot of dying to self in those first two commands. Be quick to lend someone your ear, and then place your own opinions and ideas at the lowliest pile and only bring them in if they are significant or useful to the conversation. This is especially difficult for me when there is a question being asked. I want everyone to know what my opinion is because I always think it must be something amazingly worthwhile. Of course, most of the time it isn’t, and I often regret fighting my way in to speak for something that--after it was spoken--really doesn’t seem that profound after all.
    Today I will be especially careful to consider what I say and weigh it’s importance before speaking it. I will also look for opportunities to listen full heartedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment