Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fear no Evil

Psalm 23:4
    “Yea, though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For you are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.”

    1 Samuel 17:34-37--When King David was a shepherd he put his life on the line for a single sheep. He chased after a bear and a lion and slew them both as a young boy, for the Lord was on his side.
    David knew that as he was the protector of the sheep, so God was his protector. As the sheep no doubt recognized their shepherd by the staff in his hand, so we are comforted by the outward signs of God.

    Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death:
    In fear for his life (the shadow of death) and no way to escape aside from going forward or looking back (valley) David walks. Not run. Not tip toes. He walks. Because he feared not death nor evil.
    But everyone fears death. Everyone fears the traps of the evil one. For who can escape death? Who can predict the traps of the deceiver?
    Surely no one can aside from God--and those He chooses to save. David knew that God loved him and would not forsake him. David knew that God was with him always.
    “Where can I go from your spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; If I make my bed in the depths you are there…. Even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.” Psalm 139:7-10

    David also knew that God is more powerful and more sovereign than anything Satan could throw at him. The promise described in 1 Corinthians 10:13 no doubt rang in his heart, “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”
    If God promises that we can endure every trial and we know that he has overcome death, what then is there to fear?
    Certainly not death or temptation. That is why His presence can comfort us though death is near and we are surrounded by the looming walls of ambush.
    Application:
    Not to fear. Last night even I was tempted by sin so strongly that I feared I had already given in, but 1 Corinthians 10:13 came to my mind and I prayed for the way to “Stand up under it” until He delivered me from it.
    Because of this I feel I should memorize 1 Corinthians 10:13 so that promise will always be engrained in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment