Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Implanted Word of God

James 1:21    Santiago 1:21
    “Por eso, despójense de toda inmundicia y de la maldad que tanto abunda, para que puedan recibir con humildad la palabra sembrada en ustedes, la cual tiene poder para salvarles la vida.” NVI
    “Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.” NKJV

    It astounds me how logical our faith is sometimes. When you think about a lot of things with a simple mind they just make sense. This verse, for example. We’re commanded to rid ourselves of filth and wickedness and leave our hearts open to receive to word of God. But sometimes those filthy and wicked things seem like a good idea. Sometimes they seem like they will bring fulfillment. Sometimes our flesh just sees sin as so much more attractive than a several hundred year old document.
    But then James ends with undisputable logic. This document (which is so much more than that in reality--nothing less than the living word of God) is the thing which can save our souls. Sin, obviously, cannot.
    Next time I am tempted I will either start reading my bible if I am able, or bow my head in prayer, though my flesh may want to do otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment