Saturday, November 5, 2011

Hypocrisy

James 1:22    Santiago 1:22
    “No se contenten sólo con escuchar la palabra, pues así se engañan ustedes mismos.  Llévenla a la práctica.” NVI
    “But be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.” NKJV

    This passage is very convicting and practical as well. The last verse talked about putting off all filthiness and wickedness and instead receiving in meekness the word of God--the thing which can save your soul. But a mere book or word from God cannot save a man’s soul, but it is the act of obedience that brings fourth a relationship. For what relationship is there without trust or respect? Jesus said: “If you love me, you will obey what I command.” (John 14:15) Furthermore he told the Jews “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.” (John 8:31)
    When James is talking about the implanted word here, I believe he means more than only the fancy book you see Christians carrying around from time to time. But more specifically I believe he’s talking about God’s personal commands for us. Now, where do we generally find these commands? In the God-breathed book we hold to. But it is those personal convictions that it is so important to, after finding out what to do, carry out in the fullest extent--and to do so honestly and with a good heart. This verse is especially convicting for me because I often fail to do my applications for these blogs to the extent that I should. I often look at them as a chore or something that I can check off my list of a million things to get done in order to be a good Christian.
    These are life changing verses, but only if I allow them to change my life. I need to practice more in my obedience in these applications. And I need to be careful to make applications that will actually benefit me. My first step is to redo some of the applications that I know I have failed to complete in honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment