Friday, November 25, 2011

The Royal Law

James 2:8    Santiago 2:8
    “Hacen muy bien si de veras cumplen la ley suprema de la Escritura: «Ana a tu prójimo como ti mismo»;” NVI
    “If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well;” NKJV

    The thing that strikes me most about this verse is that James calls this the Royal law--the law in authority over all others. When you think of it. If you can get this one law right, then all the other laws pretty much don’t matter. I mean, you’re not going to steal from yourself, covet your own things, have someone cheat on your wife, etc. Even Jesus raised this commandment as only second to “love the Lord your God.”
    The irony is that I already had the application to this verse given to me this morning in prayer and the other day in exhortation. To love someone you have to get to know them, and that is what I need to do. I must love myself a lot because I seem to talk to myself a lot. Therefore, if I’m to love people as I love myself, I have to talk to them too--imagine that.
    My application is to reach out to people more, to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment