Thursday, November 24, 2011

I do not understand what I do

James 2:6-7    Santiago 2:6-7
    “¡Pero ustedes han menospreciado al pobre! ¿No son los ricos quienes los explotan a ustedes y los arrastran ante los tribunales? ¿No son ellos los que blasfeman el buen nombre de aquel a quien ustedes pertenecen?” NVI
    “But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts? Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?” NKJV

    This verse again reminds me of the illogic of sin sometimes. We reject those who are pure of heart because of our prejudice and open our arms to that which will cause us misery. But isn’t that the struggle of the Christian walk? I myself try to reject that word which I know logically to be true and for reasons I cannot comprehend do that which I know will cause me suffering. Why? Why do I, when I know the consequences already, continue to sin like a child with no foresight?
    Paul had the same dilemma. Romans 7:15 says “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.”
Also verses 19 and 20
    “For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.” (NIV)

    This application may seem a little off topic but it makes sense in my mind. I need to get out of bed in the morning as soon as my alarm goes off and not wait even another five minutes, so that I can get straight into God’s word in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment