Saturday, January 7, 2012

Vigilance

Nehemiah 4:23        Nehemías 4:23

    "Ni yo ni mis parientes y ayudantes, ni los de mi guardia personal, nos desvestíamos para nada: cada uno de nosotros se mantenía listo para la defensa." NVI
    "So neither I nor my brothers nor my servants nor the men of the guard who followed me, none of us took off our clothes; each kept his weapon at his right hand." ESV   

    The walls were only halfway finished when the rumors of war started to come in. Several nations despised the Jews and wished to bring them to an end before they were even on their feet again. Nehemiah reminded the people often that their God was behind this, so they had nothing to fear.
    Then he did what was practical and set guards in the gaps, guards everywhere. He set up an alarm system so that if they were attacked they would be able to rally to the sound of the trumpet. And every last man, even the workers, held a sword in their hand.
    To top it all off, Nehemiah had them protected during all hours of the day. He told them to stay in the walls at night so that they would be ready with man power at that time as well. They were ready at all times, even while they slept, for they slept ready to fight the moment they awaken.

    The response here is amazing. Fear of attack is put into the equation, but the work continued on. The only difference is that they replace the protection the wall should give with pure vigilance and manpower. What good does it do, if you construct a wall but let your defenses down while you do it?
Surely, before the wall is completed, the enemy will jump over it and stab you in the back--unless you are ready for him.
    It is amazing to me how some Christians go about their lives believing that the devil does not exist. How do you defend against an enemy if you don't believe there is one there? You don't.
    Nehemiah could have said to the messengers, "I don't believe you--God would not let enemies rise against us in this work" and went on about his business. But then the Arabs, the Ammonites, and the Ashdodites would have come in full force, putting Israel once again beneath their feet. At that point, in his confusion, Nehemiah might have actually turned to God and asked why. Why have you brought this terrible thing. To which God would surely say, "I warned you."
    And He does warn us. He gave us the Word. The devil is the only character talked about from beginning to the end aside from God himself.
    We are told and given countless examples of the ways he will attack us, and it is up to us--as it was to Nehemiah--to maintain the defense.
    Nehemiah knew that God in His infinite power could easily overthrow any army that came at them without their help--nevertheless, he armed every last man to the teeth. He trusted God, but he was ready for the fight. And, ironically, that readiness is what won the battle before it even started.
    1 Corinthians 10:13 says "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." ESV
    The temptation will come, and if we are ready and defend against it, God will give us victory. Just as he did for Nehemiah.

    I need to be ready for spiritual attacks in my own life--of all shapes and colors. Often times I think "Why am I not going through trials like those around me--does God know I'm not strong enough?" while an hour later I think "Why am I still struggling with this thing?" and I get disheartened because I think I'm having that struggle because I am weak. It's much different fighting that battle when I realize what it is. I need to recognize my struggles and attack them head on, knowing God is faithful, and knowing where it comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment