Friday, January 20, 2012

Songs in a Storm

Psalm 107:28         Salmos 107:28
    "Entonces claman a Jehová en su angustia,
    Y los libra de sus aflicciones." RVR1960

    “Then they cry out to the LORD in their trouble,
        And He brings them out of their distresses.” NKJV

“Those who go down to the sea in ships,
    Who do business on great waters,
They see the works of the LORD
    And His wonders in the deep.
For He commands and raises the stormy wind,
    Which lifts up the waves of the sea.
They mount up to the heavens,
    They go down again to the depths;   
    Their soul melts because of trouble.
They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man,
    And are at their wits’ end.
Then they cry out to the LORD in their trouble,
    And He brings them out of their distresses.
He calms the storm,
    So that its waves are still.” NKJV

    I don’t know what else to say about this verse except that I’ve been there--quite recently. That storm came so quickly I could not comprehend it. I saw the heights of the waves and the depths and my mind was truly at it’s wits’ end.
    But immediately, before anything, the problem was brought before the Lord--the God of the universe, who knew it would happen before the foundation of the world.
    It is crazy for me to think of how God had my back during the whole ordeal. I don’t know if it was his amazing grace and foresight to design a shock reflex in humans, or his amazing grace for me that I did not feel any of it. He truly is good.
    And He has even had me preparing for this moment ever since my first year of highschool. Throughout my teenage to adult life I’ve had migraines. These miniscule tempests used to ravage a day, leaving me on my knees shaking or in the dark praying the pain would go away. God taught a weak Christian many things through those trials.
    First, that no matter how bad it was, He was always with me.
    Second, that even though there was pain, and it sucked, He knew everything that was happening and He had a plan for it.
    Third, that even though He knew it was happening, He wanted me to come to Him with the problem, and so I did finding out the fourth thing.
    That God wants relationship.

    After some time, I realized that these times of trials brought me closer to God than any other part of my life. I would lay in the dark singing whatever songs of praise I had in my memory to take my mind off the pain and put it in Christ, my faithful savior, my Lord, and my God.

    One of the first songs I memorized for that purpose, the one that for some reason was always easy to find in a muddled mind, was How He Loves Us. That song took on a whole new meaning for me last Saturday.

    The words of the song are as follows.

“He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree
Bending beneath, the weight of His wind and mercy
And all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful you are,
And how great your affections are for me.”



That day, I felt love like a hurricane and was about as powerful as a tree. Yet in the midst of the storm those afflictions truly were eclipsed--completely blocked out--by his unfathomable glory.

    I feel bad when those storms come in the midst of others, because my reaction will always be to sing praise to my God and King as He has been teaching me to do for so many years. But in spite of this setback, I do wish to commit more songs to memory--in order to combat the storms that take all night to endure. God has given me this tool, and I need to make it as effective as I can.
    By the end of this week I want to have one new song memorized.


Shadows -- David Crowder Band

Life is full of light and shadow
O the joy and O the sorrow
O the sorrow
And yet will He bring Dark to light
And yet will He bring Day from night

When shadows fall on us
We will not fear 
We will remember
When darkness falls on us
We will not fear
We will remember
When all seems lost
When we're thrown and we're tossed
We remember the cost
We rest in Him
Shadow of the cross

No comments:

Post a Comment